Club History

About Us Management & Staff

This present course, which was established after the end of World War II, is a far cry from the beginning of golf in Murray Bridge, early this century.

18th green

Dr. CN Macquarie with a group of enthusiasts introduced the game to Murray Bridge on links established near the old Jaensch homestead and the old High School. Later a course was established around the Lagoon in the area known as Paradise Hill, where it remained until World War I.

Following a recess for the war, the club was reformed on Jaensch Family property at Long Island. This course was extended from 9 to 18 holes in the early 30s, however being private land also used for farming activities made it difficult to stabilize the layout. With the disposal of a part of the land prior to World War II, the club again went into recess.

1945 saw the opportunity to buy freehold an 85 acre property adjoining the racecourse. By disposing of assets from the previous course, members successfully bid for the property which became the site of the present day golf course.

Under the guidance of Harry Reynolds and Fred Burr as chief planners, the committee quickly planned the layout of 18 holes on the bare paddock with about six small mallee bushes as the only trees. Conditions were first primitive. The clubhouse was the ruin of an old straw-thatched barn with only 2 stone walls standing - this was the only shelter in bad weather.

18th green

During the first winter a crop of self sown oats covered much of the course and fairways were mown through them to make play possible. The rough was often a metre high and it was not uncommon for players to temporarily lose their clubs while searching for balls - if they bothered to.

The first permanent clubhouse was built in two stages, using voluntary labour.

In early 1950, the club agreed to hand the property to the Corporation of Murray Bridge (local government) in exchange for a long term lease for a nominal rental.

The success of the club depended solely on the voluntary commitment of its members. For example, Margaret Sanders planted a number of trees behind the third green and watered them by hand, carting the water by buckets and car from her home.